FOR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE 24/7
Lots of homes have them….those dark and damp abysses under your home, the “crawl space”, and the reality is that what happens in your crawl space does not generally “stay in your crawl space”. What lies beneath your foundation does affect the quality of the air you are breathing above and a poorly ventilated and damp crawl space below your home can have a major impact on your family’s health.
The five main things to affect your crawl space and ultimately your living space are:
1. Moisture – Whether it’s from standing water after a rainstorm or just the dirt floor, evaporating moisture and condensation can damage wood and insulation and eventually make its way into your home. Mold in the crawl space and upstairs living areas is a common problem caused by excess moisture.
2. Pest and Critters – Crawl spaces provide a nice undisturbed and cozy environment for all sorts of rodents, spiders, termites, snakes and other uninvited guests. Additionally their urine and droppings cause pathogens which can also be transmitted into the air in your home.
3. Radon – This gas that you can’t smell or see is caused by the natural decay of uranium found in all soil. Radon is the #1 cause of lung cancer among people who don’t smoke. Radon detectors can be purchased at your local home improvement store and every home should have one.
4. Outside Air – When air quality is worse outside your home then inside, the vents in the crawl space allow that outside air to eventually work its way into your home, potentially making allergies, asthma, and other respiratory issues worse.
5. Duct Work – Most homes with crawl spaces have their duct work housed there.
While well sealed ducts should not have a problem, the reality is that since these ducts are “out of sight and out of mind” and hard to access and visualize, many ducts are not sealed properly or may need to be resealed over a number of years and have been neglected.
Any leaks within your ducts allow all that contaminated air in your crawl space to move throughout your home, potentially causing health issues.
While all of these things are scary, that area that lies beneath your home does not have to be and there is a remedy. Properly encapsulated and ventilated crawl spaces prevent moisture buildup and allow for a clean area to routinely perform visual inspections to correct any leaks within your air ducts. Oftentimes when restoration companies are called to look at a mold problem inside the home, the culprit is found within the crawl space. Companies like Havoc Heroes specialize in mold remediation and drying techniques and are certified by the IICRC, Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification, meaning they know the industry standards in mold damage removal and water damage removal. So call the professionals at Havoc Heroes today at (470) 444-4134 for a complimentary inspection of what lies beneath your home and then sleep better at night, knowing there is nothing under the bed other than those dust bunnies!